Veteran left-arm spinner Abdur Razzak said on Monday that his extreme determination and hard work paid off as he was able to make his way back into the national team for the upcoming Test series against Sri Lanka, starting on January 31.
The veteran left-arm spinner was called back into the Test squad on Sunday after all-rounder Sakib al Hasan was ruled out of the first Test with an injury in his left little finger that he sustained during the final match of the tri-nation tournament.
The injury of Sakib put the Bangladesh team management in dilemma to find a suitable replacement and despite adding uncapped spinner duo Sunzamul Islam and Tanbir Hayder, selectors turned back to Razzak, who played last of his 12 Tests in 2014.
Razzak said initially he did not believe the officials, who asked him to be ready for a trip to Chittagong but was convinced only after chief selector Minhajul Abedin spoke to him over the matter.
‘I was quite surprised as I didn’t expect this call... I was not sure what to do for a certain time,’ Razzak told reporters in Chittagong.
‘Akram Bhai [cricket operations chief] first told me about this. But I was not clear. Then I got a call from Sajeeb [BCB logistic manager]. He had my ticket ready. He congratulated me but I was not sure why. When Nannu Bhai [chief selector Minhajul] called me finally I was convinced.’
Razzak said although most of the people thought that he wouldn’t get a further chance in the team, he had a belief in himself which rewarded him at last and he urged all other cricketers to take it as an example.
’Almost 95 per cent people thought that I might not able to make a comeback in the side. But I had a feeling that I would definitely play again. I think now it can be taken as an example. Sometimes many young players also have the instinct of giving up after not getting chance for a while. I think none should ever say, never.
‘If you perform regularly, you will definitely get a call-up. You have to wait for that opportunity,’ he added.
Razzak showed his form with the red ball in the on-going domestic first-class competition, Bangladesh Cricket League, where he took 20 wickets in three matches.
During the tournament, he grabbed the spotlight by becoming the first Bangladeshi player to take 500 wickets in first-class cricket.
‘I didn’t lose my hope really,’ said the 35-year old spinner. ‘If you don’t have any goal then you can’t play well in the domestic circuit.
‘Every player has a goal to play for the national side. I also had the same intention. But to be honest, I didn’t expect it to happen like this way,’ he said of Sakib, the spinner he believed was difficult to replace.
‘Definitely, I will continue to make plans as I did previously. I have no intention to do something new. I will try to play my role well in the team. I will try to use my front point,’ he said.
Razzak added that he has no grudge against former coach Chandika Hathurusinghe, who largely ignored him during his reign of three-and-half years.
‘This is a part of life, part of cricket. Every player has both good and bad times. Sometimes luck will favour you, sometimes not. I am taking it positively. I will try to play well. It’s not for Hathurusinghe, it will be for Bangladesh cricket, if I get an opportunity,’ he added.
